Re: Has IETF given up entirely on trying to be inclusive?

Jay,

Recognizing the complex tradeoffs involved with too-dense pages
with too much information, just a question or two about the
statistics you give:

--On Wednesday, March 1, 2023 12:21 +0000 Jay Daley
<exec-director@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On 1 Mar 2023, at 07:39, Keith Moore
>> <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Did I miss it, or is
>>> there no fee waiver available for Yokohama?

> We currently stand at 154 fee waivers requested and 101 of
> those used from a current total of 303 remote registrations.

> From those figures, it doesn't appear as if we have an issue
> with people finding out about fee waivers.

First question (the important one): How many of those are for
first-time attendees, i.e., people who have never registered for
an IETF meeting before, either onsite or remote?

Explanation: Keith may disagree, but I think we should be far
more concerned about someone who has never participated before
and hence may not know that there have been fee waivers in the
past than I am about regular participants who do have that
knowledge.  Using Keith's experience as an example for the
latter group, the system appears to be working: Keith knew
enough to ask on this list and got an answer from the community
in under 20 minutes.  He is not a perfect example-- he is a very
long-term participant with a history of speaking up-- but I
trust the distinction from someone who might reasonably not know
how to ask is clear and the statistic I'm asking about would
provide a rough approximation to the size of the latter group or
at least the fraction of that group who have figured out how to
find information or work the system (the fraction who haven't
and hence decided to either pay up or not attend would be even
more interesting but probably impossible to capture).

Second question (probably less important): I think I know what
"used" means in your report above, i.e., fee waivers actually
granted.  If that is correct, what does "requested" mean?  Given
other discussions, presumably it does not mean that, of those
requested, 53 requests were turned down.  Does it mean "support
is available for up to 154 waivers and 53 are still available"?
Something else?

> The reason I'm saying this and not simply agreeing to add
> that text is because we already have so much text in so many
> places that it's a problem and we need to move in the other
> direction of simplifying things not adding more.

At the risk of making this note too long, a micro-suggestion
about complete newcomers and simplifying that page: Consider
putting, at the top of the page and maybe as part of the "Choose
one..." block, something like "if you are a first-time
registrant, click here for information longer-term participants
will already know".  That could lead to a page (perhaps an
updated existing one) with somewhat more explanation about,
e.g., fee waivers, why Datatracker accounts are required even
for those with privacy concerns, that the registration process
will require agreement to additional policies, who to contact
for help if one is hopelessly confused, and perhaps even an FAQ
into which you could move some of  the material from the
registration page (although, having read through it just now, I
don't have good candidates).

thanks,
   john