Re: Notification to list from IETF Moderators team

Christian Huitema wrote:

Sorry, I mistyped. The statement was issued on May 11, 2021: https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/on-inclusive-language/

Thanks. Though it should be more "inclusive" if you provided
the pointer in the original mail, IESG is not requiring
such "high quality" for our daily mails, I really hope.

Anyway, my point in

	https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/szfzLAbV9EmQ7kmz3HGfaLkLhT0/

is that rephrasing master/slave as primary/secondary
actually authorize the attempt of racial discrimination
*VERY* long after slavery was constitutionally illegalized
in US in 1865.

There are so many people who superficially interpreted
the 13th amendment to continue racial discrimination
legally.

Finally, around 1964, the Civil Rights Act and the Voting
Rights Act was enacted to illegalize to treat blacks as
secondary citizens. But, seemingly, racial discrimination
without slavery in US still exists even today.

As such, I must say that quality of NIST document to propose,
though weakly as "potentially biased language", to rephrase
master/slave as primary/secondary is poor produced by people
having less knowledge on US history of racial discrimination
than me.

Following such a poor document reduces the quality of our RFCs.

In addition, requiring to follow the NIST document raises the
bar of language barrier for us non native speaker of English,
which is against inclusiveness, which means wasted effort
for the poor document will reduce technical quality of
our RFCs.

Moreover, I can see no reason for IETF or ITU (ACM and IEEE
should be US local organizations) bothered by US local and,
obviously misdirected, issue for "inclusive language".

As a technical/engineering body, IETF should pursue
technical/engineering inclusiveness without paying
any attention for superficial and often wrong inclusiveness.

						Masataka Ohta