Re: Notification to list from IETF Moderators team

The recent IETF debate on "inclusive language" ended with the IESG statement published on May 11, 2022. Rather than engaging in a search for problematic locutions and proposed replacement, the IESG deferred to the US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). I think that decision was good, because most IETF participants are not experts in the English language, and also because there is advantage in keeping standard vocabulary across the industry. This kind of standard is more friendly to participants with English as a second language. Suppose the alternative, in which for example the IETF, the IEEE, the ITU and ANSI would each develop their alternate formula for "man in the middle", and foreign participants would have to somehow guess that all of these mean the same thing. The debate might have been tense but I think that the final decision was sound, and I see no big urgency to repeat the exercise.

-- Christian Huitema