Re: Notification to list from IETF Moderators team

On 8/24/22 12:58, Joel Halpern wrote:

Keith, there seem to be two separate issues which your emails appear to be conflating.

On the one hand there is your often-expressed concern that the rules are vague and have been used to suppress opinions with which the leadership disagrees.  While I disagree with you about the degree of vagueness, I do understand that concern.  It is not good for the IETF to suppress dissenting technical perspectives.

On the other hand, in the particular case you have seized on, we have an individual participant who has chosen to insult other individuals and subgroups.  He has the perfect right to disagree with the technical work or technical opinions.  But insulting the participants is not acceptable.  And is not good for the IETF community.  But you seem (and maybe I am misunderstanding you) to be objecting to efforts to prevent such behavior.

Joel,

Please understand that I can disagree with the moderators' actions, and believe that they're counterproductive, without supporting or agreeing with the post that they reacted to.   I can also think that such actions set a poor precedent for the future and that the sooner those actions are discouraged or reduced in effect, the better.

For a lot of people it's an axiom that wrongdoing must be punished.  To me it sometimes appears that the punishment exacerbates the original problem, or creates a worse problem than it can hope to solve.

Often, the best reaction to an insult is not to try to suppress the person making the insult.   Sometimes constructive engagement is better.  And sometimes the best reaction is to ignore it entirely.   Especially when it's devoid of substance and therefore easily dismissed.

Insults will soon be forgotten, but the detrimental effect of suppressing open discussion in IETF will last a very long time. Be careful what you wish for.

Keith