Re: Notification to list from IETF Moderators team

On 8/24/22 06:09, Eliot Lear wrote:

I miss the days when IETF was often capable of having constructive technical discussions, even when some participants' frustration was evident, without the need for moderators or Tone Police.

As it happens, I went back in history the last time we had this debate and found that indeed culturally we as a community have been poorly behaved all along.

This means nothing to me, because I don't know what specifically you mean by "poorly behaved", and it strikes me as quite likely that your idea of poor behavior is very different from mine.    (For example, I would probably consider deliberately non-constructive feedback as "poor behavior" no matter how politely it were phrased.)

But it's never to late to improve, I say.  And some still have to start that journey, and so we have moderators.

I argue that it's a step in the wrong direction, unless you think the journey should be one of suppressing diverse input.   (I do not agree with that.)

A step that increases intolerance (no matter how well intended) does not make IETF more able to incorporate diverse input to build a consensus.   Instead, what it does is consolidate control in the hands of a few people.

I do accept some need for moderators, but I believe that the moderators should act only when necessary, rather than trying to lay down the law.   Particularly when there's a huge potential for that power to be misused to suppress input that some powerful parties deem unfavorable to their interests.

As best as I can recall, some people were really good at responding constructively to less-than-perfect input, and this practice had the effect of making the community more inclusive rather than less.   That's a skill we (as a community) would do well to cultivate.

In that same review, I didn't find a single case where inappropriate comments (including some of my own) ever led to constructive results.  I may have missed something, so feel free to find a counter-example.

This seems disingenuous on many levels.    I don't know what you mean by "inappropriate" but it's kind of a meaningless statement because you are citing vague and subjective criteria for both the propriety of comments and the constructiveness of results.   You're asking me to cite a counter-example when not only are your criteria vague, you haven't cited any examples in support of your argument.   It also seems like you're begging the question.

It also seems like an effort to move the goalposts.   I'm not arguing that "inappropriate" (which again, I don't know what  you mean) input is inherently valuable.  What I'm arguing is that suppressing participants' speech for vague and arbitrary reasons is harmful to the kind of open dialog that IETF fundamentally needs in order to build meaningful consensus.   And that some (not all) kinds of input which some people would find "inappropriate" are in fact essential, and we fundamentally compromise IETF's ability to function by suppressing such input.

The suppression of one person's speech for arbitrary or unclear reasons also has the (intended or unintended) effect of suppressing others' speech, because people look at how others are sanctioned to get a sense of what they themselves are permitted to do.   People tend to pay more attention to how things seem to work in practice, than to rules that are buried on a web site.

Taking this most recent bit of "feedback" as an example, it would be very easy for a participant to get the impression from that feedback that it's considered "uncivil" to criticize IETF or its leadership for past decisions.   Or that it's considered "uncivil" to show signs of frustration.   Neither of those impressions serve IETF's mission, but rather, undermine it.

But even more importantly,  there are often better ways of responding to less-than-perfect input than by publicly calling out people who provide such input.   And sure, perhaps "inappropriate" (your word) comments rarely lead directly to constructive results.   In particular, pretty much everyone has a difficult time responding constructively to insults.   But I can think of lots of people who started out being not terribly constructive (IMO) who eventually became valued contributors, not because they were "called out" but because people took the time to constructively listen to them, engage with them, focus attention on the salient technical points, and work to clarify those points.

When people believe they're listened to and their input is valued, they're more likely to participate constructively.

And "calling out" is far more likely to be harmful than constructive.

Keith

(I do accept that moderation needs to be visible and transparent, so that the community has a sense of whether it's being applied fairly.   But it can be used sparingly, and there may be better ways of being transparent than to publicly shame people the minute they cross some arbitrary line.)