Re: Notification to list from IETF Moderators team

On 8/24/22 08:13, Carsten Bormann wrote:

A step that increases intolerance (no matter how well intended) does not make IETF more able to incorporate diverse input to build a consensus.
Actually, it very well may; way more people have unsubscribed from this list because of its toxic outbreaks than have their posting rights removed.
And people have left IETF, and/or greatly reduced their participation, because of the culture of toxicity caused by past suppression of input.

Of course it's easy to point out the harm done by the other side, while completely ignoring the harm done by one's own side.

Reasonable people can disagree about the best level of feedback, and I would naturally expect people's preferences to lie along a fairly broad spectrum.   But I think it's fairly well established that "calling out" is quite often a toxic practice, and that vague criteria are invitations to abuse.

Keith