Re: Harassment, abuse, accountability. and IETF mailing lists

Hi Tim,
At 10:31 AM 13-06-2022, Tim Bray wrote:
What we have is at best anecdata, but I strongly disagree. I have personal experience

There were changes within the IETF over the last 10 years to make it more polite. What was acceptable 10 years ago would be frowned upon today.

I have not seen that many emails from old participants in the areas which I still follow. New people might find the issues raised by those old participants difficult to address. The difficulty is understandable given that an old participant has 25+ years of IETF experience whereas the new person does not have that amount of experience. From what I remember, there wasn't any impolite content in those emails. I gather that the problem you mentioned either occurred during a meeting. There are Working Group chairs and Area Directors present during a meeting. The persons in those roles have the responsibility to ensure that the "Note Well" is adhered to. The participants who are aggrieved can hold them to account if they are not fulfilling their responsibilities.

I shepherded a few new people through the publication process over the years. None of them reported significant problems with old participants. As an anecdote, the time taken for those people to get a RFC number was under two years.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy