Re: Harassment, abuse, accountability. and IETF mailing lists

> On 7 Jun 2022, at 02:51, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I think the problems arise when almost any attempt to be
> critical is interpreted as being at least disrespectful even if
> not actually rude.

That’s certainly a problem to watch out for along with other blatant abuses of power.

In my experience though, that is rare and what is far more common is a situation that begins with someone being both critical and rude at the same time, and then descends into a downward spiral of people talking across each other - one group for whom the rudeness is the main issue and and one group for whom the criticism is the main issue.  I often see those in the latter group interpreting any admonishment for the rudeness as targeting for being critical and therefore an abuse of power.

Jay

--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director