Re: Harassment, abuse, accountability. and IETF mailing lists

Hi,

my thoughts are similar to Ben's:

On 2022-6-3, at 6:26, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> (1) If someone is feeling abused or harassed in conjunction with
> an IETF mailing list, they should have readily-available
> information about who to discuss that with.

They can always contact any AD, the IESG as a whole, or the IETF Chair.

If they feel that is not an option (for any reason), they can also contact the ombudsteam (https://www.ietf.org/contact/ombudsteam/).

> (2) The above is particularly important for newcomers and is
> important whether perceived abuse is involved or not.

It is. I believe what I wrote above is covered as part of the newcomer orientation.

> (3) It is important that the IETF (and all of the associated
> organizations and groups) maintain the trust of the larger
> community
> Making
> things obscure -- even if accidentally and in the name of
> efficiency -- tends in the other direction and, sooner or later,
> may hurt us and hurt us badly.

If you believe the information I gave above is too obscure, what is your suggestion to making it less so?

(As a strawman example, we could obviously configure mailman so that a footer is added to all messages to all IETF mailing lists, but that seems like overkill.)

Thanks,
Lars