Re: the introduction problem, was Email and reputation (was Re: Service outages planned for April 25)

Viktor Dukhovni writes:

> Key distribution and discovery isn't the fatal problem, the fatal
> problem is that encrypted email is unusable once received and
> stored.

To my mind that's a presentation layer issue.  Once that message
lands in my MUA it's up to me how I want to store it.  If I chose
to keep my local copy unencrypted, so be it.  Since I use MH,
building such a filter is trivial, and I've done it for OpenPGP
messages many times (I keep losing the damn script when I move
servers).

For an IMAP store things get a bit tricker.  It would need a protocol
extention that allowed for on-the-fly decryption.

And if you're a Plan 9 user, it's a simple matter of writing a
decrypting file server :-)

Point being, the software to do this doesn't have to be incredibly
difficult.  But this is out of scope for the current discussion.

--lyndon