Re: Status of this memo

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 9:37 AM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4/27/21 9:26 AM, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>
> >> Il 27/04/2021 10:41 Lars Eggert <lars@xxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
> >>
> >> There was a suggestion recently to not serve I-Ds from ietf.org domains until they were adopted by the IETF. Do you think serving individual drafts from another domain would help make that distinction clearer?
> > URIs can help, because they are posted around to refer to documents, so they can contain prominent semantic "messages", either in the hostname or in the top path element. However, I think it would be even better to do this in the filename, as the filename persists even when the file is downloaded or attached. For example, you could reverse the order of the initial elements and things would already be much clearer:
> >
> > ietf-draft-<wg>-<subject>
> > irtf-draft-<wg>-<subject>
> > independent-draft-<author>-<subject>

> Binding status to the name of the resource is a Bad Idea partially
> because the name can persist long after the status changes and partially
> because it can confer status prematurely.

Mistakes can be made but that is a Bad reason to never make a decision
and thus make no progress. The six month expiration of drafts helps a
lot in this area. In fact, if we wanted to, we could incorporate the
expiration into the file name so that it was
draft-......-expires20211027.txt or the like.

> Even expecting people to
> repost existing I-Ds with new names to reflect WG "adoption" is dubious.

I think it is a great idea. It makes it clear whether the authors or
the WG is in charge of the draft.

> And we really don't want to "bless" drafts before they have community
> consensus.

If you can't do anything about the contents of a draft other than send
arguments to the authors/editors, until it passes the IESG (which is
what shows it has IETF community consensus) then, to the first
approximation, the IETF will be totally paralyzed.

Thanks,
Donald
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx