Re: Status of this memo

> Il 27/04/2021 10:41 Lars Eggert <lars@xxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>
> There was a suggestion recently to not serve I-Ds from ietf.org domains until they were adopted by the IETF. Do you think serving individual drafts from another domain would help make that distinction clearer?

URIs can help, because they are posted around to refer to documents, so they can contain prominent semantic "messages", either in the hostname or in the top path element. However, I think it would be even better to do this in the filename, as the filename persists even when the file is downloaded or attached. For example, you could reverse the order of the initial elements and things would already be much clearer:

ietf-draft-<wg>-<subject>
irtf-draft-<wg>-<subject>
independent-draft-<author>-<subject>

> There was also a suggestion to add something to the boilerplate text of individual I-Ds along the lines of "anyone can submit an I-D; they have no formal standing until they are adopted by a group in the IETF or IRTF". Would that provide additional clarification?

The boilerplate is useful mostly as something that people can refer to when having a specific discussion; people that know the issue can point other participants to text in the boilerplate. However, people that just randomly find the document and are interested in the content will mostly skip the boilerplate and just read the technical spec.

So, I would add text in the boilerplate but I would also add a short, neat, isolated sentence in a much more visible position, such as a tagline above the title and below the headers, or a subtitle just under the title. Something like "Working draft of IETF group <wgname>" or "Unofficial submission", perhaps combined with something on the intended status (standard vs informational etc.).

By the way, "independent" is not immediately clear. "Personal" or "unofficial" would IMHO be better.

--
Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx