Re: What's the alternative to "snarling"?

>    Old-timers snarl, at least in part, because they've been through all of
    it before, and they would rather work on trying to improve potentially
    promising ideas than defeating Bad Ideas.   Snarling is one version of
    conservation of effort.

I really hesitated to say this, but in my experience, most of the snarlers are old men who have not made notable contributions to any draft in some time.