Re: the old fellowship program, was Wow, we're famous

On 4/15/21 7:45 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:

Maybe one thing that could be done is to have a set of things that newbies can do to participate that are likely to be taken very favorably.

I've found that newcomers are much more likely to be taken favorably if they're well-prepared.

Unfortunately, this is difficult enough to do for a new working group, even more difficult for one that's been around for awhile.

If we'd like newcomers to be well-prepared to work in working groups, maybe the working group should put together a set of background info (at the start of the WG), and maintain a set of decisions already more-or-less taken and reasons why (though there might not actually be consensus on the reasons).

Maybe IETF meetings should have multiple sessions for each established WG - the first one a "catch up" session that presents and explains the work done to date, at which no decisions will be taken and which is optional for experienced attendees.

Keith