Re: the old fellowship program, was Wow, we're famous

[]

I think the first order question ought to be how to get new participation on working group mailing lists. I mean, it's free and just a click away so unlike meetings it is not an impediment for anything beyond investment in time. I wrote before how some wg mailing lists can be toxic in their treatment of "interlopers", and recently tuned out from yet another one because of that toxicity. For somebody starting out, the last thing you want is to have +3 fire breathed down on you for asking questions or pointing things out. Working groups can be rough and tumble and that is exacerbated by people who know each other for decades, but for newbies that is pretty off-putting.

Maybe one thing that could be done is to have a set of things that newbies can do to participate that are likely to be taken very favorably. What author doesn't like somebody who's gone through your ID with a fine tooth comb for nits, bad grammar, unclear text, etc and especially from fresh eyes from the perspective of a potential implementer, for example. Everybody would win in that situation. Their naivety is a huge benefit.

Mike