Re: the old fellowship program, was Wow, we're famous

I am more and more convinced that, instead on counting on some centralized way to attract new people and then get complaints when they do not stay, maybe there is a better way would permit to achieve our goal in a more distributed way.  I do not think that group mentorship for the IETF is working -- I tried at a previous company, and none of the mentorees are still participating, so that's not the way.

But I am thinking that the key could be a mentorship that would extend beyond a meeting week.  That would mean working with a mentoree for a whole publishing cycle, starting by explaining how to read an RFC (people told me that they do not know how to do that), then how to review an I-D (a place where most of the mentoring work should be done, IMO), then upgrading to co-writing an I-D and going through the whole publishing cycle.  I think offering that kind of guidance to a mentoree for a couple years would help more than that any other kind of program.

Now if most of the follicle pigmentation deficient people[1] at the IETF take on a couple of mentorees each two years, I think it could be possible to at the same time create a continuity of tradition and still embrace the energy of newcomers.

In fact I have someone in mind that would be perfect as my first IETF mentoree, so I am going to just do it.

[1] Graybeard.