Re: What's the alternative to "snarling"?

On 4/19/21 12:45 PM, Salz, Rich wrote:

I really hesitated to say this, but in my experience, most of the snarlers are old men who have not made notable contributions to any draft in some time.

Absent some more precise definition, "snarling" is subjective. And there are other ways to contribute without making "notable" contributions of text to any specific draft: general comments in a WG discussion that shape the problem space or influence how a draft is scoped, private comments to a document author, Last Call comments, etc.

***

I get the impression that many people have a theory that IETF's problem is that it is populated with too many Bad People, and the way to fix IETF is to discourage or silence those Bad People.

I believe the IETF needs many different kinds of people, including Annoying People, because it seems like many important issues never get looked at without some Annoying People to call attention to those problems.   Which is not to say that everyone who is annoying is helpful in that way, but that filtering out Annoying People - people who say things that make people uncomfortable - would make it harder for those issues to be examined and addressed.

Keith