Re: the old fellowship program, was Wow, we're famous

On 15/4/21 11:45, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
[...]

The best answer I have at this point is that if you're lucky, your
company will cover travel expenses, but you may have to spend a lot of
time contributing to "public good projects" (either IETF
standardization or open source work), effectively on your own time,
and hopefully that will be an investment in your future career or
promotion prospects.  It will likely be only "brownie points",
especially early in your career, but hopefully in the long run, it
will be part of your own distinctive "brand" as an software engineer.

That depends a lot on where you are based. In many places, career-wise, you might be better off getting a networking certification than writing a protocol standard -- no matter how good or important the standard is.

--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks