Re: the old fellowship program, was Wow, we're famous

On 15-Apr-21 10:23, Marc Petit-Huguenin wrote:
But I am thinking that the key could be a mentorship that would extend beyond a meeting week.

That was always the theory. I acted as a mentor several times under the original version of the mentoring scheme, and did follow-up mails (phone calls were never practical). But my success rate with the follow-ups was approximately zero. Successful mentoring is not easy outside a more traditional work environment with frequent personal contact.

So no nothing in the plus column.  But did any of the mentorees complained that they felt mistreated by the IETF?  Even if they cannot be added to the plus column, I expect that they cannot either be added on the minus column.

But you are right that it is hard to build a successful mentorship with someone with whom you do not already have some commonalities.  I think there is a step missing there -- where to meet and how to select these candidates?

Oh well, if the candidate I have in mind accept, I have a year to figure it out how to find the next one.

--
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Email: marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx