Re: IETF LLC & IETF Participation from USA-sanctioned countries

Hi, Bob,

On 8/3/21 12:05, Bob Hinden wrote:
Fernando,

On Mar 7, 2021, at 4:44 PM, Fernando Gont <fgont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 7/3/21 16:14, Christian Huitema wrote: [....]
This is not exactly an issue of prejudice. AFAIK, we do not have
checks to verify that some new subscriber to an IETF working
group is not accessing the server from a penalized country
through a VPN, or any such workaround.

FWIW, at the very least, I was wondering what would be the effect
of things for folks that openly and truthfully employ email
addresses from e.g. ccTLDs from said countries, or that indicate a
postal address from one of said countries when registering to an
IETF meeting.

I note that filtering by ccTLD wouldn’t work very well, as a ccTLD
only says where the domain was registered, not where the user is.
For example, I checked and I could register hinden.ir.

For the most part, the motivation of this thread has been to find an authoritative answer regarding how OFAC compliance could possibly affect participation.

The registration process requires a share of personal information, and part of my question is whether such information provided during registration could affect the ability of affected parties to participate.

Similarly, I wonder if there are any constraints for the same group to e.g. author internet-drafts, and attest affiliation with organizations from said countries (e.g. universities).

P.S.: FWIW, I'm generally against of *any* form of blocking/filtering people people from participating in the IETF based on attributes such as their country of origin, nationality, or their whereabouts (whether implemented by looking at email addresses or in any other way).

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks