Re: IETF LLC & IETF Participation from USA-sanctioned countries

On 3/8/21 10:05 AM, Bob Hinden wrote:

FWIW, at the very least, I was wondering what would be the effect of things for folks that openly and truthfully employ email addresses from e.g. ccTLDs from said countries, or that indicate a postal address from one of said countries when registering to an IETF meeting.
I note that filtering by ccTLD wouldn’t work very well, as a ccTLD only says where the domain was registered, not where the user is.  For example, I checked and I could register hinden.ir.

For that matter, I'm pretty sure that anyone in the DPRK (just to pick one example) who is authorized by that government to access and/or participate in IETF discussions, will have the resources needed to evade whatever mechanisms IETF might impose to discourage that.

Heck, IETF even lets Americans participate.   Might as well let all the riff raff in.

Keith