Re: [Last-Call] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-07.txt

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021, at 7:33 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
(1) If support for tallies and summaries, presumably including a
message being sent out in bulk and having recipients respond to
it in a way that is equivalent to voting, is part of the
intended use of this feature, why is that not called out in the
document?  Unless I have missed something even after reading it
several times in the last few days, he document now seems to be
focused on interpersonal communications and not such tasks,
tasks that might call for a review of security considerations
and other text.

I believe the focus is interpersonal communication.  In the long run, I would not be surprised were someone to want to summarize the count of reactions of each type to a message, but it is not the given intent or focus of this proposal.  Any means of aggregation other than canonical equivalence seems like it would be a question of context and semantics, unable to be generically specified… but we don't even suggest aggregation over compatible emoji, here.

(2) When I see multi-grapheme (as distinct from
multi-code-point) emoji in contexts that might be described as
intended to convey…

Thanks, this is a great point.  I believe we must specify that the emoji provided in the reaction are not a string, but a set (or multiset, I suppose).  Without this, the advice to drop individual illegal emoji candidates is dangerous!

Imagine that Emoji 20 adds a "NOT" emoji (ignoring that "NO ENTRY SIGN" would work in this story).  The reply "NOT {BEATING HEART}", received by a system with only an Emoji 19 repertoire would drop the NOT.  I'm not sure what this means, other than the opposite of what was intended.  No matter the presentation layer, if we allow some components to be dropped while others are displayed, we must be clear that the line is not a string.

Alternatively, if the line must be a string, then we must not keep any portion while discarding another.  But I favor adding text indicating that it's a multiset.

--
rjbs