Re: document writing/editing tools used by IETF

In article <4064.1614454347@localhost>,
Michael Richardson  <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    > We're strange but it's hard to imagine that we're so strange that there
>    > isn't an existing package somewhere that will do the job either as is
>    > or with minor customization.
>
>You are stating this completely backwards.
>We aren't strange, we are brilliant, and it's hard for others to understand
>our needsd.
>
>There were in fact, existing tools when we started: they were airplanes and hotels,
>but we were strange, and we wanted to access remote computers without travel, ...

Indeed, but that was many decades ago. There are some ways in which the
IETF is cutting edge, some in which we are amusingly backward. Most
of the people I deal with can send an e-mail that says "I highlighted
the changes in yellow" and all of their correspondents see the yellow
text. Try that here. Remember that MIME was invented in the IETF and
HTML down the virtual hall from here, both about 30 years ago.

People do all sorts of online collaboration these days using tools
that have been developed over multiple decades. It is sheer hubris to
imagine that we are so special that nobody else could have built
collaboration tools that would work for us.

R's,
John
--
Regards,