Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

> On 29 Jul 2020, at 13:25, Stewart Bryant <stewart.bryant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I would let authors express their thoughts as they think best, and leave the decision of what words to rephrase with the RFC Editors.

I don’t think that is reasonable. The RFC editors may fix some sentence of explanatory text that is using some phrase that is loaded with baggage.

But an importnat part of a document is the terminology that it defines. If a document defines something that is a “controller” or a “master” and something else that is a “function” or a “slave” or a “supplicant”, then this terminology is later going to be used in code, in product documentation, even in future university courses. it’s not reasonalbe to expect the editor to come up with a different terminology.

Drafts should arrive at the RFC editor being mostly ready for publication. Changing terminology should send a document back to the WG.

Yoav