Re: USA dominion: Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 10:09 AM Salz, Rich <rsalz=40akamai.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  • As I’ve stated previously on this list, I view “folks” as a trigger, as it imposes passive-aggressive patronizing distancing, and it’s certainly not as exclusionary as you might think. A word best avoided, in my view.

This is an honest question: are you serious?  Are there others who feel this way?

I suspect that we will wind up having discussions which cover so many words/terms across too many domains with varying levels of acceptance by people who may (or may not) be triggered.  This is my largest concern (that we may not be able to contain the limits of the conversation).

My thoughts are - we will all do our best to consider others, and we should be considerate of others if we don't agree with them (as their experience and disposition may differ from ours).   Jon Postel comes to mind.

regards,

Victor K