Re: USA dominion: Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

> On Jul 24, 2020, at 3:56 PM, Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Joe, *:
>
> Here is how i think this whole effort is exclusionary:
>
> For the mayority of writers and even more so readers of IETF documents,
> english is not the first language. Even for any non-american native english
> speaker, i wonder how much they feel that there is a need to update the language
> used by the IETF for what arguably is primarily a US social problem: Dealing with
> a still seemingly not well enough handled history of afro-american racism and slavery.

I tried to point out in my examples that this goes far beyond a US problem or the specific problem of slavery.

It might also be useful to keep in mind that slavery had existed for thousands of years before there ever was a US.

Yes, because we write our docs in English, many terms are particular to the English language, but not just US-English either.

If the worldwide community thinks that being respectful of others is a bad thing, then so be it.

Joe