Re: USA dominion: Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

> On Jul 24, 2020, at 5:01 PM, Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If the process is being let run by the people who started it, then it
> will not result in any word change outside of their their area of interest.

I have more faith that those interested can step outside of their own experiences. Or at least try.

> Ho about my proposal for a language steering group constituted from members
> from all type of language backgrounds. you did not comment about that.

Nobody is stopping anyone from participating. We don’t need a steering group. The IETF enforces nothing (not even protocol requirements), certainly not this.

> Software components are not humans.

Yes, but we anthropomorphize them all the time. I appreciate that you are not offended by the way that is done, but this is about what others have raised THIS EXACT ISSUE as their concern.

> If we had a steering group with really diverse backgrounds (as i proposed),
> such as also from africa and parts of asia, where there is real slavery,

Surely you’re aware that slavery has occurred on nearly every continent (perhaps less so in Antarctica), in nearly every time period...

> and
> such a steering group would suggest such language  changes in the IETF, i think that
> would carry a lot more weight for the IETF community than the USA centric effort
> that we see happening now.

This is about what we do AFTER the doc is published, not the doc itself. The “weight” is what we do, not what we state we will do.

Joe