Re: USA dominion: Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

Well, to start this: this thread has used “folks” repeatedly.

As I’ve stated previously on this list, I view “folks” as a trigger, as it imposes passive-aggressive patronising distancing, and it’s certainly not as inclusionary as you might think. A word best avoided, in my view.

RFC7282 and other documents use this word, which is certainly not technical language. We can all do better, and the proposed ad-hoc committee for censoring words can begin with that divisive word.

L.

wondering if the people who came to the IETF to work on IPv6 should only have been allowed to work on NAT for eighteen months. Wouldn’t the world have been a far better place?

We could let the folks who claim they will do a good job
outside their own experience prove that for 18 months by having them
only work on words not related to black live matter and then vet
the results and decide if they should continue to work on the
words they came for originally.