Re: USA dominion: Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020, at 20:50, lloyd.wood=40yahoo.co.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Well, to start this: this thread has used “folks” repeatedly.

As I’ve stated previously on this list, I view “folks” as a trigger, as it imposes passive-aggressive patronising distancing, and it’s certainly not as inclusionary as you might think. A word best avoided, in my view.

I'm not "triggered" by it, but the word that I naturally put before it is "old" as in "old folks home" or "you'll have to ask the folks" - aka, one's parents.

It's definitely not a word that I've seen young people use to refer to other young people (yet - though I see a cultural effort in my circles to bless is as the one true plural for humans).

My teenage kids, neither of whom are cis male, never say "folks", and regularly use "guys" to refer to their schoolmates of any gender.  When I asked them about whether it has any gendered connotations to them recently, they said it does not.

Personally I'm holding out for "all y'all" or "youse" to make a comeback.

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd
  brong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx