Re: Additional advisors (was: RE: Challenge: Re: Challenge: was Re: Updated Nomcom 2020-2021: Result of random selection process)

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020, Mary B wrote:

I'm very puzzled over the concern about Henrik as Tools Advisor.

Mary's note as well as others make it clear that I was perhaps not as clear as I could have been. (Though I'm glad to see that Pete understood.)

I have no problem with the NomCom appointing Henrik as an advisor.

I'm raising a process issue, pointing out that only NomCom as a whole - not the chair acting on their own - is empowered to appoint advisors.

Separately, it is great that the chair has sought guidance and help from both Henrik and from additional past chair(s). NomCom chair is not an easy job, and I'm sure their help is valuable, particularly in these early stages.

To Scott: yes, the Nomcom's webpages already list both Henrik and Suresh as "Non-Voting Members". 8713 establishes certain things that non-voting members can do.

(Some NomComs have formally appointed a tools team advisor, as Michael says should be done, though not always Henrik. According to the public pages, the 2018 and 2019 NomComs appointed one. The 2015 and 2017 NomComs had Robert Sparks serving as IAB liaison, and he may have handling tooling issues, also.)

If the concern is that there will be lots of folks that can see your input to the Nomcom, you can always provide input anonymously by contacting the chair or a Nomcom member with whom you're comfortable sharing.

That is not my concern.

Separate from the process concern, if I were on the NomCom, I would worry about the ratio of voting to non-voting members, particularly since the liaisons tend to be more experienced in the IETF than the voting members (on average, perhaps, some years?). But that is a concern for the voting members to work out.

-- Sam