Re: Challenge: Re: Challenge: was Re: Updated Nomcom 2020-2021: Result of random selection process

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 5:09 PM STARK, BARBARA H <bs7652@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm replying to this message to provide additional clarity regarding the non-voting NomCom members.
> While only certain of the I* organizations are required to provide liaisons, all are allowed to name liaisons. They have all chosen to do so. This is helpful with ensuring the NomCom voting members have someone who can properly represent the qualifications for a position on that I*.
> The liaisons are selected by each I* organization. Who the voting members are is not relevant to the selection of liaisons by the I* orgs. Therefore, there is no need for sequencing of liaison naming vis-à-vis the selection of voting members. My request to the I* orgs was that they provide me with names prior to next week, so I could onboard the entire NomCom at the same time. When an I* org provided me with a name, I put the name on the NomCom 2020 web page. While they have been named, and I've had some communication with them about open positions on their I* (and qualifications for those positions), I haven't discussed anything else with them.
> I needed the tools advisor in place when I started the volunteer process. Henrik made sure the eligibility checking tool was properly set to check for attendance at IETF 102-106 and did other magical tools things.
> The previous year's NomCom chair is automatically an advisor. Victor has been very helpful and I've needed his advice a lot. I also asked Suresh to be an advisor, as permitted by RFC 8713. This is a weird year. I'm new to this NomCom thing. And process isn't my strong suit.
>
> As it relates to all of this process stuff (how to get volunteers, selecting seeds, handling challenges, etc.), the only people advising me have been Victor and Suresh.

I have no opinions on the challenge / selection / voting vs non-voting
/ etc[0], but I did quickly want to chime in to say "Thank you" to
Barbara, Victor and Suresh.

Serving on the NomCom is a huge undertaking and being chair/similar is
an even larger undertaking.

It's important that we get this right, but let's not lose track of the
fact that people participate as volunteers, the process is somewhat
complex (and doesn't cover all corner cases), and everyone is trying
to do the right thing.

>From my sanctimonious soapbox,

> The liaisons are not advisors for NomCom process. They are liaisons. See RFC 8713 for a description of liaison responsibilities.
> The tool advisor provides support related to tools.
> As stated in RFC 8713:
>    An advisor is responsible for such duties as specified by the
>    invitation that resulted in the appointment.
>
> Barbara

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf