Re: Polkit/Consolekit cancer stick?

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 00:29, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:10:05PM +0000, oneforall immortal wrote:
>>
>> I had given the specifics:
>> 1) kde 4 has moved to using polkit for authentication and the reason they say is because of udev .
>
> Then ask the kde developers about this.

Anyone who would say that has no idea what he's talking. Polkit has
absolutely no connection to udev, nor the other way around.

>> 2) Udev is dropping hal and using polkit.
>
> udev never used HAL.  HAL is now no longer being developed.

Right, and HAL uses udev, not the other way around. Polkit is
completely unrelated to udev.

>> 3) Polkit requires Consolekit and pam.? Some one made a patch for that . But it still wants Consolekit which is just as bad as Pam.
>
> Ok, but that has nothing to do with udev.

Right, nothing. :)

>> 4) As far as distros, so far all since last year they are just as stuck as I am .
>
> What is "stuck"?

Stuck in trying to understand how things work today, I guess. :)

> For some reason you do not like consolekit, which is fine.  But then go
> talk to the developers of consolekit about this, not the udev
> developers, who have nothing to do with it.

I doubt that there is much to discuss. :)

Authorizations on the modern multi-user desktop care about if users
are locally logged-in or from remote, and need to associate requesting
processes with user sessions -- hence we absolutely need ConsoleKit.
It's part of the core technologies. If people don't want a modern
desktop, they should use an old one. There is plenty of old-school
stuff to install around.

>> 5) I have my own cross compiled 64 bit
>
> cross compiled what?
>
>> 6) most are trying to get polkit(no pam)patced to use shadow still consolkit etc to work
>
> Again, go discuss this with those developers.

And again, there are plenty of old-school desktops around to use. Just
avoid a desktop which needs it, if you don't like it.

>> 7) from the last oen here that explains more than enought of how this
>> 1 type of authentication is making the other chioce a pain. So thats
>> why I'm not impress\ed with the disregard to other platforms and users
>> even if we are just a small group and a few platforms. This stuff
>> worked but is being cut off purposely.
>
> Again, I don't see anything "cut off".

It's all free software, update your platform/system yourself, if
nobody else is doing it, or watch the platforms who don't care start
to bitrot. It's your choice. But don't blame the people who do the
work, that it does not fit your taste, that's not how things will work
out for you.

>> 8)? Maybe with this --disable-extras will be the way , But I duno yet
>> and maybe we have been lead up the garden path so to speak.
>
> Again, specifics?
>
>> now some one said to use --disable-extras
>
> Yes, and you should be fine.

That's not even needed. Udev does not care about ConsoleKit. There is
tiny extra in udev which can manage device ACLs with the information
ConsoleKit provides. If ConsoleKit is not there, it will just do
nothing. No need to disable anything, just ignore it.

Kay