Re: Polkit/Consolekit cancer stick?

A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:10:05PM +0000, oneforall immortal wrote:

> I had given the specifics:
> 1) kde 4 has moved to using polkit for authentication and the reason they say is because of udev .

Then ask the kde developers about this.

> 2) Udev is dropping hal and using polkit.

udev never used HAL.  HAL is now no longer being developed.

> 3) Polkit requires Consolekit and pam.? Some one made a patch for that . But it still wants Consolekit which is just as bad as Pam.

Ok, but that has nothing to do with udev.

> 4) As far as distros, so far all since last year they are just as stuck as I am .

What is "stuck"?

For some reason you do not like consolekit, which is fine.  But then go
talk to the developers of consolekit about this, not the udev
developers, who have nothing to do with it.

> 5) I have my own cross compiled 64 bit

cross compiled what?

> 6) most are trying to get polkit(no pam)patced to use shadow still consolkit etc to work

Again, go discuss this with those developers.

> 7) from the last oen here that explains more than enought of how this
> 1 type of authentication is making the other chioce a pain. So thats
> why I'm not impress\ed with the disregard to other platforms and users
> even if we are just a small group and a few platforms. This stuff
> worked but is being cut off purposely.

Again, I don't see anything "cut off".

> 8)? Maybe with this --disable-extras will be the way , But I duno yet
> and maybe we have been lead up the garden path so to speak.

Again, specifics?

> now some one said to use --disable-extras

Yes, and you should be fine.

good luck,

greg k-h