Re: Neighbors and Gateways

Jan Willamowius wrote:
> Robert Kulagowski wrote:
>> Jan Willamowius wrote:
>>> Hi Robert,
>>>
>>> endpoints and neighbors are 2 different kinds of beasts.
>>> With your config you are creating both endpoints with aliases ny, lon,
>>> phi, cfo _and_ neighbors named ny, lon, phi, cfo.
>>> The priorities you assigned to your endpoints, don't have any meaning
>>> for your neighbors which just happen to have the same names.
>>> I would definitely try to avoid using the same names for endpoints and
>>> gatekeepers.
>>>
>>> Neighbors currently don't have priorities (to avoid long timeouts).
>>> The one who answers first, gets the call.
>> Ah, ok.  I thought that since Neighbor "PHI" has a more specific
>> SendPrefix "1215" versus the more generic "1" for NY and CFO, that the
>> algorithm used is longest match.
>
> Longest match is the rule for endpoints (gateways), because we know
> that when they handle the prefix, they will handle the full number
> range below it. Neighbors on the other hand are queried if they can
> handle a certain destination; they don't have to be able to handle
> all numbers below their SendPrefix.
>
>> This presents a conundrum then - I'm not sure how I can accomplish the
>> goals of local gatekeepers that are neighbored with GnuGK and still
>> allow tail end hop-off.  Back to the drawing board.
>>
>> Can you possibly explain a little more how and when you would use a
>> neighbor versus an endpoint that has a prefix associated with it?
>
> You don't always have a choice; some destinations will only accept
> calls (traditional endpoints and gateways) and others will only
> answer to LRQs.
>
> If your destination can handle both, there are lots of factors which to
> choose. If you known by the prefix, that a certain destination can
> handle the call, I would treat it as a gateway and avoid the overhead
> or LRQ/LCF. That way you can also use priorities, longest prefix
> matching, call failover etc.
>
> If you don't know which of many destinations can handle a call, treat
> them as neighbors and send them LRQs.

OK, I gave this a try; if I don't configure as neighbor and instead only
use prefix, then if a device is registered as 12156789012 with the
gatekeeper at 10.244.4.5, if I try to place a H.323 call to that device
the call path ends up going like this:

device in Chicago -> GnuGK -> 10.244.4.5-> (Telco) ->10.244.4.5 ->
12156789012

So, the H.323 call ends up with two H.320 legs, hairpinned through the
telco, which is not what I was expecting! :(

If I configure as neighbor, then the GnuGK sends a LRQ to 10.244.4.5 and
the call stays as H.323 from endpoint to endpoint, which is optimal.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev