Re: Neighbors and Gateways

Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> Jan Willamowius wrote:
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > endpoints and neighbors are 2 different kinds of beasts.
> > With your config you are creating both endpoints with aliases ny, lon,
> > phi, cfo _and_ neighbors named ny, lon, phi, cfo.
> > The priorities you assigned to your endpoints, don't have any meaning
> > for your neighbors which just happen to have the same names.
> > I would definitely try to avoid using the same names for endpoints and
> > gatekeepers.
> >
> > Neighbors currently don't have priorities (to avoid long timeouts).
> > The one who answers first, gets the call.
>
> Ah, ok.  I thought that since Neighbor "PHI" has a more specific
> SendPrefix "1215" versus the more generic "1" for NY and CFO, that the
> algorithm used is longest match.

Longest match is the rule for endpoints (gateways), because we know
that when they handle the prefix, they will handle the full number
range below it. Neighbors on the other hand are queried if they can
handle a certain destination; they don't have to be able to handle
all numbers below their SendPrefix.

> This presents a conundrum then - I'm not sure how I can accomplish the
> goals of local gatekeepers that are neighbored with GnuGK and still
> allow tail end hop-off.  Back to the drawing board.
>
> Can you possibly explain a little more how and when you would use a
> neighbor versus an endpoint that has a prefix associated with it?

You don't always have a choice; some destinations will only accept
calls (traditional endpoints and gateways) and others will only
answer to LRQs.

If your destination can handle both, there are lots of factors which to
choose. If you known by the prefix, that a certain destination can
handle the call, I would treat it as a gateway and avoid the overhead
or LRQ/LCF. That way you can also use priorities, longest prefix
matching, call failover etc.

If you don't know which of many destinations can handle a call, treat
them as neighbors and send them LRQs.

Regards,
Jan

http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev