Re: Using Classpath on the Sun VM

Dalibor Topic wrote:
Tom Tromey wrote:

Blake> Would it not make integration easier if it were divided into
Blake> the Classpath jar/zip, and a Kaffe glue jar/zip?  Jes askin'...

Perhaps one of the Kaffe maintainers can reply.
In Kaffe's CVS head, there is a small jar with just the couple of modified VM interface classes and a bunch of Kaffe-specific classes, that gets prepended to the classpath glibj.zip
on the booclasspath.

Wow!  Thanks for the very quick responses.

I will look in to this.  Perhaps it is exactly what I want.

In this case, I assume you mean dividing Classpath's glibj.zip into separate vm-interface.jar
and rt.jar files, and delivering the two jars as part of Classpath?

Exactly. If I get the Classpath source and build it, it produces a glibj.zip that will not run programs on the Kaffe VM.

Whether that Kaffe specific VM interface jar gets prepended to a single glibj.zip file, or two of them is not much of a difference, I guess. But I'm not sure I've seen the benefit of
having a separate glue JAR laid out.

Could you elaborate some more on your idea?

I expect to be doing a fair amount of work with Classpath, but to take the Kaffe VM as a given. It would be very convenient if I could install Kaffe someplace -- possibly, even, wo/source -- and then, repeatedly, build Classpath, jar it up, drop it someplace, and have everything work.

Perhaps there is another way to do this. I'm new to Java.remove(Sun), and am just trying to get my bearings. This was the first thing that came to mind.

Thanks again,
  Blake Meike