Re: Using Classpath on the Sun VM

Tom Tromey wrote:

Blake> Would it not make integration easier if it were divided into
Blake> the Classpath jar/zip, and a Kaffe glue jar/zip?  Jes askin'...

Perhaps one of the Kaffe maintainers can reply.
In Kaffe's CVS head, there is a small jar with just the couple of modified VM interface classes and a bunch of Kaffe-specific classes, that gets prepended to the classpath glibj.zip
on the booclasspath.

We only modify a small subset of the VM interface classes, so that the modified classes 'override' those in Classpath's glibj.zip. The actual 'surface' (i.e. the classes a VM implementor choses to override in the VM interface in order to provide different implementations) between Classpath and a VM using it, is likely to vary between VMs, as some VM interface classes are necessary to override for a functional implementation, while others are a facultative choice, for example to provide a more efficient implementation by delegating some aspect of the functionality to the VM. Note also that the facultative parts can become mandatory if one's working on a platform where using the provided generic C implementation of some native
functionality is not an option, for example.

In this case, I assume you mean dividing Classpath's glibj.zip into separate vm-interface.jar
and rt.jar files, and delivering the two jars as part of Classpath?

Whether that Kaffe specific VM interface jar gets prepended to a single glibj.zip file, or two of them is not much of a difference, I guess. But I'm not sure I've seen the benefit of
having a separate glue JAR laid out.

Could you elaborate some more on your idea?

cheers,
dalibor topic