[Jamvm-general] Re: [maemo-developers] J2ME on Nokia 770

Hi,
     Thanks for your mail which is very helpful.

Mark Wielaard wrote:

>Hi Philippe,
>
>Please try to keep the lists on topic. And please keep runtime specific
>stuff on the specific runtime lists. Don't cross-post unnecessary
>(others have also done that, it is not just you). People please keep
>non-classpath specific stuff off the GNU Classpath developers list. GCJ,
>kaffe, jamvm, sablevm, etc. all have their own mailinglists. When
>appropriate move the discussion to one of those.
>
>GNU Classpath is a bit of a "neutral zone". We do all meet here, but we
>try to focus on the technical issues that are cross-runtime, compiler,
>execution-environment, platform, etc. And we do try to help each other
>solving technical issues in a way that is as efficient as possible
>across platforms. Sure GNU Classpath is part of "the GNU solution" and
>obviously GCC/GCJ is a big part of that. But we explicitly work together
>with all the other environments. We organize meetings with all the other
>projects (like you saw during Fosdem). And we learn from each other. It
>isn't a place to criticize or question people or projects on the why or
>how they run projects their own GNU Classpath based projects.
>
>I do appreciate your enthusiasm and I am glad I saw some technical stuff
>about getting the gtk+ awt peers better on the maemo platform. That is
>what we want to see here!

So you will admit that what people want to discuss on which list is not
crystal clear?

So I did my homework: I posted the issue to GNU/FSF lists.

>>I don't have the time to go around and check old information and then
>>ask if it's current.
>>

>Please do your homework. Other people spend time and energy trying to
>answer questions for you. I am sure not everything is always documented
>fully and if so please do ask. But please do read a bit more about the
>projects you are asking questions about before firing off lots
>questions to this list that could have been resolved by either reading a
>bit more about the other projects or that could have been asked on a
>specific other project list.

I trigger issues that you need to resolve. I think I'm doing quite some
amount of work myself with all these emails...I find this method more
productive for all.

I don't agree with you here. I don't think I've asked much obvious Q&A.

>>Now, where are you guys coordinating a free embedded Java strategy?
>>

>There isn't 1 free embedded "Java" strategy. And from your postings I am
>not clear which "embedded" strategy you are looking for.
>
>- If it is finding a free J2ME counterpart to GNU Classpath please look
>  in the archives and talk to the people working on that:
>  http://www.spindazzle.org/green/index.php?p=67
>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2005-11/msg00037.html

Thanks for the help. I can't say more for now, but I can assure I'm
getting ready to contribute something valuable.

Really, it's not like I want to keep you guys in the dark forever...

>- If it is finding a really small runtime then go look at jamvm.

Well in my original post I reported building SableVM down to 215K with
the new refactoring. So, when you take classpath into account, the
difference with JamVM is insignificant.

>  You met Robert at Fosdem so just send him an email with how you would
>  like to work together.

If you look at the recent posts on the Jam list you should get the
impression Robert and I are doing fine...

>- If it is finding a free WinCE supported environment talk to either the
>  MySaifu developers, the IKVM developers to see if they have a WinCE
>  port (if dotgnu/mono is supported on that), the Kaffe developers
>  wanting to import the old WinCE port or the gcj port (WinCE is not
>  something a lot of people concentrate on since as far as I know it
>  isn't a free platform, but I am sure there are a lot of supporting
>  companies that will be happy to get GCJ fully working for you on it).

Thanks!

I don't want someone to do for me, I want to do it myself...

Java is about making the OS irrelevant, so I think porting to CE goes
along that.

>- If it is finding how to best support maemo then talk to the various
>  GNU/Linux distributors that most closely mimic maemo. They probably
>  use GNU/GCC/GTK+/Gnome as environment for most programs, so talk to
>  them to see how gcj, java-gnome, etc fit in there. This is probably
>  the area were there is the most interest since lots of people already
>  work on a GNU/Linux platform with gtk+ so this is the most attractive
>  option to get the broadest support.

Thanks!

It seems to be going well on the maemo list, but yeah, nice to have
backups :-)

>On the GNU Classpath mailinglist we coordinate how best to support all
>the various environments build on top of GNU Classpath. If your talks
>with the people/projects above lead to some interesting technical issues
>on how we can improve GNU Classpath to better support such environments
>then please do contact us again and we will try to help. But please
>experiment a bit first and make sure you have enough experience with the
>various projects to focus on technical details.

I'm doing exactly this, my own way I guess. I'm in a hurry though,
sorry. I hope in the end you will find all this was productive.

>>How do you defend people wasting their energy on [Project X], while there is
>>not a bit of anything in it that is unique.
>>

>Now this is completely inappropriate for this list. And I even doubt it
>would be appreciated on the Project X mailinglist.

You're right. In fact Project X is the only one I have some kind of
emotional attachment to at this point.

Best Regards,
Philippe