[Jamvm-general] Re: [maemo-developers] J2ME on Nokia 770

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 23:30 +0100, Philippe Laporte wrote:
> Hej,
>        Well, see that's my outsider take. In my view people should join
> efforts independently of egos. Perhaps I am too idealistic...

I am sure if you spend some time researching on the Internet you will
find out that many of us are actually sharing code, experiences and
helping promote free runtimes regardless of which project they are
associated with.

I've been mentioning and recommending SableVM alongside with JikesRVM,
JamVM, IKVM, gcj, Cacao and various other free runtimes in invited
presentations and talks ever since I got involved with the free runtimes
in 2002, no matter if I was invited to speak about my pet project or
not. When Kevin, doing the SableVM talk at FISL 2005, couldn't come, I
helped out, and praised the state-of-the-artness of it to the audience,
and the brilliance of its authors, and so on, and so on. I'd do it
again, too, any time. It's good code, and I have lots of respect for
their work.

So please spare me the crap talk about egos, since we are doing all that
quite successfully. The folks with the big egos ("bring me the Stallman
or an FSF lawyer's head!") are not in this project. If your pet project
doesn't get the attention you think it deserves, try writing some code
instead of clogging the list with fanboyism.

> I am trying to provoke some kind of debate and hopefully resolution of
> open issues...

There are no open issues.

SableVM choses to use GNU Classpath, which is cool. They chose not to
contribute to its development atm, which is cool, too, since they have
shown to be very, very hard to work together with in a professional way,
without turning discussions on their head with exactly this sort of
arrogant posturing that you've managed to do as well. Congratulations.

If you absolutely need to debate some funny bit of SableVM's history,
worldview, or legal theories, please do it on the appropriate lists, or
in private. The appropriate list for dissing other GNU Classpath
runtimes (and crapping onto projects who write the code your pet project
crucially depends on) is not this one, do it where other people don't
have to endure such rudeness.

> I think competition does diservice to the community...

As the history shows, you are clearly wrong.

The free runtime community has profited immensely from not focusing on a
single VM, but instead nicely routing around the eventually less
successful projects by letting a thousand flowers bloom, and helping
people help themselves to better software they way they want and need it
under the licenses they like. That's why you can chose a pet project to
be a fan of, among several alternatives.

Chose one, contribute to it, but please keep your stop energy away from
people who do real work.

> Then, I think it's all good and fine for me to tell other VMs why some
> VM is better in this or that particular niche. It gives people pointers
> for one thing. They didn't ask for ti, but you'd have a hard time
> convincing me they are not contructive and appreciated in the end...

Really? Then why are you shouting down people mentioning mysaifu on the
sablevm list[1]? What's constructive about that? Why don't you
appreciate a pointer to a solution that works today?

Please try writing some code instead.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.vm.sablevm.general/582