Re: What would be a better set of default resources?

On 07/23/2009 12:56 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 00:51 +0200, Martin Nordholts wrote:
>
>> We could either introduce a complex system to allow the user to delete
>> system resources, or we could make it simple for ourselves and the user
>> and just initialize the user dir with a set of default resources. I
>> don't understand why we have to solve this in a complex way.
>
> Go and read the archives then.

I'd rather discuss this again instead. If you have a particular mail or
thread in mind, please link to it and I'll read it.

> One reason is that we would also have to add a way to get the deleted
> system resource back.

We don't provide that for the user-brushes, why would we have to do it
for the system ones? The user would simply have to copy the system
brushes back into his dir, just as he would have to copy his own deleted
brushes back in the user dir.

> Another reason is that it is not reasonable to duplicate the system
> resources in the folders of all users.

How exactly is this unreasonable in 2009? Compared to the amount of
images we can expect a user to have based on our product vision, copies
of default resources is negligible.

> Another reason is that it becomes a nightmare when the user updates to
> the next GIMP version which may ship with a different set of resource
> files.

It's not trivial to deal with this, but it's not exactly hard either,
whatever heuristics we come up with. Special casing treatment of so
called system resources all over the place is a much bigger nightmare
that dealing with a one-time migration.

  / Martin