Re: What would be a better set of default resources?

Hi,

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 12:10 +0200, Martin Nordholts wrote:
> On 07/20/2009 06:19 PM, Emil Assarsson wrote:
> > What I really miss is to be able to remove brushes that I don't need
> > and sort/group the ones I use a lot.
> > Maybe it would be better that most - if not all - of the brushes where
> > copied to the users profile as a default instead of being static.
>
> I agree with that we should copy the standard brushes to the user
> profile when the profile is created, just as we do with the default
> tags. Users/distros/installers wanting to use the read-only brushes for
> some reason could manually add "/usr/share/gimp/2.0/brushes" the brush path.
>
> Unless someone disagrees here I might actually hack on this soon.

We discussed this before and came to the conclusion that it's a bad
idea. What should be done instead of polluting the user directory with
such copies is to create a copy transparently whenever the user edits a
system resource. And there should be the possibility to easily hide
system resources. The new tags system should help with this. Being able
to hide resources by adding a 'hidden' tag was one of the reasons for
adding tags in the first place.

Sven