Re: What would be a better set of default resources?

On 07/23/2009 12:39 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 12:10 +0200, Martin Nordholts wrote:
>> On 07/20/2009 06:19 PM, Emil Assarsson wrote:
>>> What I really miss is to be able to remove brushes that I don't need
>>> and sort/group the ones I use a lot.
>>> Maybe it would be better that most - if not all - of the brushes where
>>> copied to the users profile as a default instead of being static.
>> I agree with that we should copy the standard brushes to the user
>> profile when the profile is created, just as we do with the default
>> tags. Users/distros/installers wanting to use the read-only brushes for
>> some reason could manually add "/usr/share/gimp/2.0/brushes" the brush path.
>>
>> Unless someone disagrees here I might actually hack on this soon.
>
> We discussed this before and came to the conclusion that it's a bad
> idea. What should be done instead of polluting the user directory with
> such copies is to create a copy transparently whenever the user edits a
> system resource. And there should be the possibility to easily hide
> system resources. The new tags system should help with this. Being able
> to hide resources by adding a 'hidden' tag was one of the reasons for
> adding tags in the first place.

We could either introduce a complex system to allow the user to delete
system resources, or we could make it simple for ourselves and the user
and just initialize the user dir with a set of default resources. I
don't understand why we have to solve this in a complex way.

  / Martin