Re: What would be a better set of default resources?

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2009/7/22 David Gowers wrote:

> tools. When I think about it, I wonder whether such users ever get to using
> GIMP with any level of frequency or intensity, as IMO with the global-brush
> option off

Don't wonder -- they do. And I do too :)

(Speaking of which, the fact that tools presets don't save/restore
scale value isn't helpful either.)

AFAICS that isn't a generally true fact. Works for me -- I just checked by choosing 1.06, saving that as a preset,
setting it to 0.01 and loading the preset (which correctly reset scale to 1.0).
What version are you using (I'm using a recent git version, I'd guess that if there was a bug, any 2.7 version would have it fixed.)
I guess also it is possible that one of your preset files is corrupt and causing problems.

>>Clear separation of default settings for different tools is such an obvious
>>thing...
> I agree with that. Unfortunately, having sensible, different defaults for
> different tools is in direct conflict with having an efficient,
> un-surprising workflow

Contrary to that I would yell every time I switched from Paintbrush to
Eraser if I didn't have global brush disabled. It's way too convenient
to use e.g. smaller eraser *automatically*

Hmm, I tend to forget that there are people who use mice for general GIMP work. I can see how this could actually save time then, if you only ever use Eraser with one or two different fixed brushes instead of
switching a lot.