Fwd: Re: Meaning of delay in screenshot plugin

Duh! caught out by this ML reply-to <> sender policy once more. Sorry.

------- Forwarded message -------
From: gg@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: "Sven Neumann" <sven@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Meaning of delay in screenshot plugin
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:51:12 +0100

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:38:21 +0100, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But I don't know all the other desktop
> environments out there and I expected that they more or less all have a
> reasonably well working way of taking screen-shots. After all this is
> where the functionality belongs.

Well there is no clear definition of the responsabilities of a desktop
manager and different project chose different criteria. KDE tries to take
over management of the whole system which I consider inappropriate but is
very popular because it follows the windows thinking most people have been
obliged to learn.

Other window managers, like fvwm, take a very minimalist approach that is
close to a bare windows manager without any concept of desktop.

xfce4 aims for a balance somewhere in the middle, remaining light while
providing basic desktop functions. I guess they think taking screen-shots
is not part of desktop function and if you want that you'll install a tool
like scrot or gimp.

I have even seen comments here suggesting this is a OS function. That only
makes sense in the MS use of the term where the "operating system" can
re-size images , zip them, open an Internet connection and send them to
your grandma.

Clearly any correct use of the term has nothing to do with screen-shots,
graphics or windows at all. It concerns making the hardware _operate_ .

There is a blurring of lines.

I don't see this as being out of place in a tool like gimp. It is after
all a plugin , not part of the core. I don't think a desktop task-bar
plugin is any more "right" than a image editor plugin. Why not both, I'll
use the one that works best ;)

In any case, after a busy day on this topic yesterday, it seems like
everyone is pulling in the same direction , attitudes are a lot more
positive and it looks like the resulting plugin will be a lot more
functional than any other screen capture tool I've seen. That's great news.

It raised my morale considerably to see a wide range of views, ideas and
needs being distilled into an effective and flexible solution so quickly.
This is OSS working the way it should work.

Good day to all.

gg