Re: Meaning of delay in screenshot plugin

Clarence Risher writes:
> The screenshot delay behaves exactly as I have always expected it to.
> [ ... ]  Then again, I have often desired
> a feature do what you propose here.  I think both options should be
> available, in combination, in the form of two delays.

In gimp 2.2, the screenshot dialog offered both options. Early on
in 2.3, the before-selection delay disappeared leaving only the
before-grab delay. But apparently there's been some in-fighting
between the people who want one delay vs. the other, and in current
CVS the winner is the before-selection delay, which unfortunately
leaves no way of grabbing a single window while doing something in
it (like popping up a menu). Bummer! I personally found the before-
grab delay very useful, but never need the before-selection delay.

An svn log of screenshot.c shows the sequence:

r20867 | neo | 2006-09-17 05:21:09 -0700 (Sun, 17 Sep 2006) | 6 lines

2006-09-17  Sven Neumann  <sven@xxxxxxxx>

        * plug-ins/common/screenshot.c: reverted Bill's change. Applying
        the delay before the selection makes as much sense as doing it
        afterwards. Do it consistently at least.

r20862 | weskaggs | 2006-09-15 09:11:36 -0700 (Fri, 15 Sep 2006) | 5 lines

Bill Skaggs  <weskaggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

        * plug-ins/common/screenshot.c: when shooting a region, apply delay
        _after_ selecting region, applying before is useless.

r20121 | mitch | 2006-06-18 02:44:43 -0700 (Sun, 18 Jun 2006) | 6 lines

2006-06-18  Michael Natterer  <mitch@xxxxxxxx>

        * plug-ins/common/screenshot.c: apply the delay before selecting,
        not before grabbing, so the user has time to rearrange things.
        Fixes bug #345214.

Bugzilla isn't responding right now so I can't review bug 345214,
but it sounds like there's a good argument for going back to offering
both delays, like 2.2 did. There are good reasons for both.
Sven, Bill, Mitch? Any chance of that?

Meanwhile: you can still grab a menu by shooting the entire screen
with a delay, then cropping it afterward ... arduous but better than
nothing.  Or use 2.2. :-)

--
    ...Akkana
    "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional": http://gimpbook.com