Re: Tool statusbar error messages

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:00:16 -0700, Carol Spears <carol@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> we were discussing a few changes to this on the irc,
>
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 02:17:34PM -0700, William Skaggs wrote:
> > From: Michael Natterer <mitch@xxxxxxxx>
> >
> > >While doing so I noticed they are all bad and inconsistent.
> >
> > >"Indexed images are not currently supported."    (heal)
> >
> > Healing does not operate on indexed layers
> >
> Healing cannot manipulate indexed images.
[...]

I am not sure about "does not operate" vs. "cannot manipulate", but I
agree with the usage of "images" instead of "layers": talking about
images makes it more likely that the user will think about changing
the image mode.  In the current GIMP, the mode is a property of the
image and cannot be changed for individual layers.

The only exception is if the active drawable is a channel (saved
selection) or a layer mask: these are always grayscale so it would not
make sense to display a message like "Hue-Saturation operates only on
RGB color images" if the image is already RGB.  But as I mentioned on
IRC, the most likely cause of this warning is that the user is not
aware that the active drawable is not a layer.  So it makes more sense
to add tests like GIMP_IS_LAYER_MASK(drawable) or GIMP_IS_CHANNEL(...)
and display a specific message for these cases:
  "Hue-Saturation does not operate on layer masks"
  "Colorize does not operate on saved channels"

I'll let the native English speakers decide if "does not operate on"
is better than "cannot manipulate", but otherwise I'm ready to add the
tests for the layer masks or channels.

-Raphaël