Re: devel docs

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:05:52 +0200, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 13:39 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > As well as I understand, the switch to TinyFu from Script-Fu for 2.4
> > is quite possible (considering Tiny-Fu is already shipped with GIMP
> > 2.3.x for Windows by default).
>
> It is very unlikely that 2.4 will ship with tiny-fu. The next Windows
> installer will also not include it any longer. We have had the chance to
> do the transition earlier but for various reasons (most of them simply
> communication problems), it didn't happen. Now we should give it another
> attempt at the beginning of the next development cycle.

I disagree.  2.4 should definitely ship with Tiny-fu, as it makes
debugging and i18n easier than Script-Fu and it deals with several
features of Scheme in a better way.

You mentioned last week that you wouldn't be against switching to
Tiny-Fu in 2.4 if the remaining problems (mainly the namespace issues)
could be solved in time.  It looks like Kevin had been previously
discouraged from fixing these problems because there were
communication problems between you and him.  But now he has taken the
time to work on these changes: you will notice that Tiny-Fu can now
read *.scm scripts instead of *.sct.  I suppose that it will not take
long until Tiny-Fu can process most Script-Fu scripts unmodified
(e.g., handling script-fu-register and so on).

Since a few days ago, Tiny-Fu is now a replacement for Script-Fu
instead of being simply something that can be installed on the side:
it uses the same namespace now.  I have already started building my
GIMP with --disable-script-fu and I see that Tiny-Fu works well (as it
did before, but then it was using its own namespace).  There are still
some minor issues with old third-party scripts because the transition
from the tiny-fu to the script-fu namespace is not finished yet, but
it already works well.  And I trust Kevin for finishing the renaming
soon.

Please do not block Tiny-Fu again.  It is more mature and more stable
than several other pieces of code that have been introduced in CVS in
the last weeks.  If it can run most of the old scripts unmodified,
there is really no reason to delay this long overdue replacement of
Script-Fu.  The Windows installer has shown the right way, let's
follow it for all platforms.

-Raphaël