Re: [Gimp-docs] Re: [Gimp-web] Flash Tutorials

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 12:13:09PM -0700, Manish Singh wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 10:41:52AM +0200, Roman Joost wrote:
> > > If it's important enough to be documented, it's important enough to be
> > > put in a useful format. Other formats are secondary.
> > Sure - but whats 'useful'? The average user might have a total different
> > understanding about what is useful for him than what is useful for us as
> > developers. I think users probably don't care which format the content
> > is distributed unless they can access it. This could be really bad or
> > good some times ...
>
> This flash movie seemed to be aimed at developers....
Let me care about documentation contributors and how we try to get other
people involved. If everyone think, that this is a very bad approach (no
one else raised his voice so far), then I've no problem to remove the
flash introductions.

I was just asking if it is possible to put flash tutorials for new
_users_ between the other tutorial content on the GIMP page.

> > Why not making them available and let the public decide if it's good or
> > bad for them?
> >
> > I sometimes have the feeling that contributions were discussed to death,
> > instead of placing them somewhere people can find and improve them
> > afterwards.
>
> I feel what belongs on official GIMP pages should have some baseline
> standards, just like what goes in the codebase has to live up to a
> standard of code quality.
>
> What's next after Flash? Word documents?
Do we still fight the war against the evil proprietary software? I mean,
if the GIMP project strictly forbidds using any proprietary software
(incl. libraries, formats whatsoever), than you have a point and we can
stop this discussion. Otherwise I still can't see the point what is
wrong about using Flash as a different media for helping users ...

Greetings,
--
Roman Joost
www: http://www.romanofski.de