Re: [Gimp-docs] Re: [Gimp-web] Flash Tutorials

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 12:21:06AM -0700, Manish Singh wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 08:03:49AM +0200, Roman Joost wrote:
> > tutorials are just another medium of pointing out how things work.
> > Jimmac made in the early days of GIMP 2.0 videos which where greatly
> > accepted by the users. Why not Flash as well?
>
> Animation and video are good for demos and advertising. If you want to
> see a cool demo of how jimmac uses GIMP, it's great. If you want to
> actually follow along, refer back to it parts of it later, search
> through it, or discuss finer points of it with others on mailing lists,
> irc, etc., it sucks. It's not really effective *documentation*.
Thats the same with the flash movie. It is definitely not the intention
to replace our documentation by flash tutorials. It's just a different
way of telling people how things work. Thats all ... nothing more ...

> If it's important enough to be documented, it's important enough to be
> put in a useful format. Other formats are secondary.
Sure - but whats 'useful'? The average user might have a total different
understanding about what is useful for him than what is useful for us as
developers. I think users probably don't care which format the content
is distributed unless they can access it. This could be really bad or
good some times ...

> This flash video especially, the content is so much better done as a
> static tutorial. Who wants to keep hitting pause if you don't follow
> along fast enough, or twiddle your thumbs while you wait for it catch up
> with you? Like I said, the animation adds no value.
Sure, but it's now a Flash and not a static tutorial. Jan put time in
creating those movies and afterwards we're discussing what will be the
best format to distribute the content.

Why not making them available and let the public decide if it's good or
bad for them?

I sometimes have the feeling that contributions were discussed to death,
instead of placing them somewhere people can find and improve them
afterwards.

Greetings,
--
Roman Joost