Re: [Gimp-docs] Re: [Gimp-web] Flash Tutorials

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 08:03:49AM +0200, Roman Joost wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 10:47:16PM -0700, Manish Singh wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 09:39:55AM +0200, Roman Joost wrote:
> > > Jan Smith created one more Flash Tutorial which shows how to create
> > > screenshots under Microsoft Windows. (If someone wonders where the other
> > > flash tutorial is: I added it under: http://docs.gimp.org/help.html - It
> > > describes how to setup a sandbox under Microsoft Windows).
> >
> > Honestly, though documentation contributions are nice, flash totally
> > sucks for documentation. You can't share or bookmark points in the
> > middle of tutorial. You can't search for text in it, and neither can
> > search engines.

> tutorials are just another medium of pointing out how things work.
> Jimmac made in the early days of GIMP 2.0 videos which where greatly
> accepted by the users. Why not Flash as well?

Animation and video are good for demos and advertising. If you want to
see a cool demo of how jimmac uses GIMP, it's great. If you want to
actually follow along, refer back to it parts of it later, search
through it, or discuss finer points of it with others on mailing lists,
irc, etc., it sucks. It's not really effective *documentation*.

If it's important enough to be documented, it's important enough to be
put in a useful format. Other formats are secondary.

This flash video especially, the content is so much better done as a
static tutorial. Who wants to keep hitting pause if you don't follow
along fast enough, or twiddle your thumbs while you wait for it catch up
with you? Like I said, the animation adds no value.

> Is it, because Flash is a propriatory format? The licenses to create the
> contributions are already paid, so why not use what we have to make
> things easier for users?

>From a free software standpoint, supporting proprietary formats is bad.
There's plenty of other standards to choose from.

-Yosh